Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:57:48 -0400
From:         Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: An engine transplant: ? (subie alterntaive) long post.

Just like to point out that THE PURPOSE of the SubaruVanagon Yahoo Group is to provide a forum for DIYers...of widely varying abilities....and using a variety of engines and conversion parts......to bring their questions and problems to get help.

So the Group is all about solving problems...and that's what you see when you first join the Group. All the useful information, links, and photos and other resources are not readily apparent until you dig around in the Group....unfortunately this will be the case so long as it is a Yahoo Group and we're stuck with their structure.

I strictly moderate the Group to keep the posts focused on questions and answers that are helpful to the Group at large...today and for future converters. I discourage "chatting" between members and delete "fluff" posts. Some object to this moderating style...but most do not.

Currently there are 4200 members of the SV Yahoo Group and I approve about 12-25 new members a week.....so, yes, it's an active Group.....and there are a lot of conversions usually in progess at any given time...hence, a lot of questions.

So I regard the number of questions asked as a reflection of the interest and overall success of the conversion as a whole...and the ongoing success of the Group as an aid to its members in their conversion process.

Perhaps one of the issues these days is that there is too much information and too many conversion parts and choices for the converter to choose from. I see a trend lately of more people, having difficulty choosing, and just wanting to "get everything in one place". One parts vendor has responded with a "turnkey" kit and another vendor is now offering a complete set of conversion parts. Those wanting one-stop-shoping now have choices.

There are approximately 300 conversions, worldwide, listed in our Registry and, I'd guess, at least several hundred more that are not registered. However, usually, after finishing their conversions, most converters are out using and enjoying their Vanagons again...not hanging around the Group gloating about how happy they are.

In a Group/Forum of this size, you will also run into a few who have more than their share of issues...and a few who make it their mission in life to never be satisfied....and to talk about it a lot. However, I only know of two or three cases...out of hundreds..... where someone was not able to resolve their issues and remained unhappy.

The numbers and popularity of the conversion...I think.... speak for themselves. The Subaru conversion may not be the best choice for everybody...but it's been a good choice for quite a few.

Warren Chapman Founder/Moderator SubaruVanagon Yahoo Group