Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:29:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Flickering Oil Light 84 auto
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

It is most likely it is low oil pressure at a hot idle.

Need to consider the switch of course, and ideally check the oil pressure with a gauge.

I put one 1.9 wbxr together for a guy ....just worked on about ten things on the outside of the engine .....he's been driving it with an oil light on at any time it's under 1,500 rpm for several months now. I will say, those 1.9 watercrapper engines just do not blow up. They get shittier and shittier ......noisy lifters, leaking heads, run lousy etc....( low OP too ) But they do not blow up.

Use a thicker oil. You could send out an oil sample to an oil lab for analysis. If they show increased levels of tin and other bearing metals - you can figure the rod bearing oil clearance is probably getting pretty big. I can almost see the copper showing in the bearing shells now.

First set of questions: What viscosity oil is being used? Should be 20w-50 or synthetic equal like 15w-50. What is the fill level? Top mark is too high. How hot is the engine running? Use infrared thermometer on case. 200-210 max. What is the idle speed? In gear. 850-900.

Next it is possible to have a bad switch or better yet, the wire is frayed somewhere and shorting out turning on the light.

Next step is to check the oil pressure with a gauge.

Dennis