Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:28:31 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Measuring engine RPM based on Hall sender/coil signals
Comments: To: tinker man <tinkerman007@GMAIL.COM>

--- tinker man <tinkerman007@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> Also, looking at the schematic, I see that the coil driver output goes > in parallel to the dashbord to drive the tachometer,

Before taking this signal to your counter you will need some RC signal conditioning circuit to shape/filter the signal for the counter. Without signal conditional it may be too noisy for the counter.

When the engine idles you will only see about 30 pulses per second of this signal. But you will like to see 900 (RPM) displayed on the counter. But you will see 870, 900 or 930 if your counter is set to count the pulse at a rate of once per second. If you want to see 898, 899, 900, 901, 902... (higher resolution) you may need to set your counter to count once per minute. This will be a poor RPM display because it updates only once per minute.

The best way to design a digital RPM display is to measure the duration of the pulse of the coil signal, instead of counting the pulses, which has a limited resolution. By measuring the duration of the coil signal you can make a fast updating precision RPM display. You can read 901.25 RPM at a refresh rate less than a second with a precision to +/- 0.01 RPM. It is still a counter. But it counts an oscillator during the duration of the coil signal. If the oscillator's frequency is high enough then you get very high resolution.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Catch up on fall's hot new shows on Yahoo! TV. Watch previews, get listings, and more! http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658