Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:02:17 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: DOn't use SM rated  oils    Re: Flickering Oil Light 84 auto
Comments: To: "John Connolly, Aircooled.Net" <john@AIRCOOLED.NET>

--- "John Connolly, Aircooled.Net" <john@AIRCOOLED.NET> wrote:

> I strongly suggest you guys read this (it's very long). > > http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?s=178c489d1c02c5693b21a9ce72762eb1&faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics > > John > Aircooled.Net Inc. > 362 West 6100 South, Unit A > Murray, UT 84107 >

Copy and paste a few words from this article. Make very good sense to me. I am now totally convinced that 20w-50 oil is a completely wrong oil to use in Vanagon engines. Thanks to John for his pointer to the excellent article:

"I know the person is confused when they say that a 0W-30 oil is too thin for their engine because the old manual says to use 10W-30. This is wrong."

"It is time to introduce the concept of lubrication. Most believe that pressure = lubrication. This is false. Flow = lubrication."

"If you change your oil to a thicker formula the pressure will go up. It goes up because the resistance to flow is greater and in fact the flow must go down in order for the pressure to go up."

"High flow does more than lubricate. It is one of the things used to cool the hottest parts of your engine, the pistons, valve areas and bearings."

"It is time to dispel the notion that 0W-30 oil is too thin when our manual calls for 10W-30. A 0W-30 is always the better choice, always. The 0W-30 is not thinner. It is the same thickness as the 10W-30 at operating temperatures."

"More confusion occurs because people think in terms of the oil thinning when it gets hot. They think this thinning with heat is the problem with motor oil. It would be more correct to think that oil thickens when it cools to room temperature and THIS is the problem. In fact this is the problem."

"Motor Oils - Fuel Economy vs. Wear By Blaine Ballentine, Central Petroleum Company:

Viscosity and Wear - Thinner oils have less drag, and therefore less friction and wear..."

____________________________________________________________________________________ Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7