Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:21:01 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: How do you check compression?

Hey,

Bentley... it was built how long ago.. by who? on what engine condition did they work? Now, did they think that hose van will last 30 years... no. Not the same engine condition today... for many reason.

I would like to see those guy in my shop for a week... they would go back to their mom crying for help.

What Mark describe is right. I mean most compression test will be done with the gas pedal to the floor (so air can enter) and the plug out so the engine can spin easily. And yes, if you don't want your hair up in the air (he he), unplug those back + wire to the coil.

Now, the funny thing.... crank it 5-6 time or 15 time the result will be the same, so please... who care if you have 140psi all around or 160??? even 120 all around it ok, it the engine doesn't drink to much oil and doesn't shake to much... drive the thing and stop worying... one of my customer as 110-120-140-145, and that, since 3 years. Engine run fine and van pull ok.

Sure, 110 in on the low side but the engine run nice...

Bentley... oufff... it's good only for the electric diagram. If you guys live and breathe by Bentley your not out of the wood, use your instinc... way better most of the time..

Cheers, Ben