Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:03:23 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Significant improvment: Less wind deflection

There's always the Huey P. Long Bridge in New Orleans. Only 153 feet above the water, but to quote Wikipedia:

"The bridge is hated by many drivers in the New Orleans area due to the narrow 9-foot (2.7 m) wide lanes without shoulders. Also, as the East Bank approach meets the superstructure of the bridge, the two vehicular roadways "jog" or shift inwards towards the bridge centerline about 1 1/2 feet (0.45 m) since the through-truss portion of the superstructure is 3 feet wider than the deck truss portion of the east approach."

You can see the paint marks on the guard rails if you're brave enough to look while driving. Passing trucks and buses, with or without wind is always an adventure.

The approaches are also very steep since they start below the level of the river - levee protected :>)

Tim

Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM> wrote: Golden Gate 220 feet clearence. Chesapeake Bay Bridge 186 feet. Governor Harry W. Nice Bridge (3.75% grade) 135 feet of clearence. Francis Scott Key Bridge 185 feet (above mean high water)

However you must remember that the Golden Gate approaches are nearly at the same height as the roadway. All of these Maryland bridges have substantial grades going UP to the highest portion of the roadway. Much scarier.