Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Sep 2007 09:41:57 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Volvo reliability , Bah Humbug
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

Yah the 544 was a pretty cool looking car. Classic in its' own way.

I would have liked a 122S, but both those models, due to age, and body design, were really prone to rust. Can't imagine trying to find new body parts for them. Especially the 544....

Neil.

On 9/8/07, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > I owned three Volvos, the latter two being a 40 sedan, the other being a > 145 Station wagon. I really like that wagon. Performed well, hauled the > family, made lots of good trips in it. but the best of the three, the > one I simply loved, was the first one I ever bought - that was a 544. It > had the look of a late thirties/early forties Ford - sort of a potato > beetle shape. Manual tranny with a big stick right up out of the floor. > Had the sweetest B18 4-banger engine up front with dual carbs. The only > description I could ever come up with to describe that ride was a quote > from Jackie Gleason - "How sweet it is!" > > All this was long before I ever even knew a single thing about Loafs and > Vanagons. > > Regards, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > > > > neil N wrote: > > The following is "said" with a PhriDaye kinda "bent". > > > > Ok. I'm not trying to start some kind of Swedish War here, ;) (Oh > > yes. I am part Swede) but IMHO, almost any $1600 car bought offa CL, > > is likely going to cost the owner muchos $$ whilst doing a long, > > heated, trip. And.,..... > > > > ..... being a former Volvo 140 series owner, but I'd have to say that > > the Volvo 140 (and liekly the 240 series from what I've heard) had > > solidly built/designed engines. They were also quite comfortable. > > Plus, that wagon-o-mine was a great little hauler. At one time I > > thought I'd "have it made" if I could keep my collection of Life-Gear > > small enough to fit in that green wagon. Cha. Right! And I have truly > > digressed....... > > > > I miss my old 145S wagon. It didn't have the electric OD, but it was a > > good vehicle. I beat that thing silly, running it low on coolant, > > revving it too high etc. and it finally developed a REALLY LOUD > > intermittent "whack" in the engine. It actually ran fine. It just > > whacked a little now and then. (eh..... I'll leave that one alone ;) > > > > Not trying to start a Volvo flame, but I guess I did rekindle an "old > > flame" Volvo memory. > > > > Neil. The PartSwede. > > > > > > > > > > On 9/7/07, Pensioner <al_knoll@pacbell.net> wrote: > > > >> If one googles "The Frugal Road Trip New York Times" you can learn how to > >> spend gobs of cash herding a decrepit OvLov across the fruited plain. Fun > >> to read. Keep me away from vintage OvLovs. Rather have a Vanagon. Wonder > >> if Chris Dixon knows this guy? > >> > >> Vanagons rule most of the time. > >> > >> > > > > > > -- > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - > > "Jaco" (Bustorius) > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > > > Please send fav Vanagon/Westfalia links to me at: > > musomuso1963@hotmail.com > > > > > > > > >