Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:48:00 +0200
From:         tinker man <tinkerman007@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: ECU firmware location
Comments: To: Bob Donalds <donalds1@verizon.net>

Hi Bob,

On 9/16/07, Bob Donalds <donalds1@verizon.net> wrote: > So let me get this right you are looking for the code programed into the > chip

Nope, that would mean the firmware which I have no plans modifying. What I do mean is whether ALL the code resides in EPROM or not. Or in different way, wanted to make sure NO CODE resides inside the microcontroller chip.

> I would have to dig around but I have that from all three ECUs > digjet USA > digijet Euro > Digifant USA

What do you mean by saying that you have "the code programed INTO the chip from all three ECUs"? Do you mean you have the text PRINTED ON the CPU chip inside those three ECU's, or that you have the actual software (I doubt it)?

> wont do you much good > they are complex and non transferable to one another

Then you must mean the firmware programmed into the EPROM chip of each ECU. Then of course they're non transferable to one another, the hardware is different.

> the digifant program is massive and I susspect has some ODB 1 or 2 software > that was never incorperated into the van

Yup, it added ignition control to the Digijet Fuel injection only. But why didn't those damn engineers get rid of the ISCU too?

> as I have said the Euro ECU works with the American digijet my understanding > of the differance is that the fuel mapiing and mabe the timing is infuanced > as well in my chassis dyno testing swaping out the Euro and USA repatedly > showed 13 HP differnce gain in the Euro ECU

Sounds reasonable since they don't have an O2 sensor and Catalytic converter to bring them down...

> I still have a few Euro ECUs I sell to Customers when they go to 2.1 engines > in the digijet vans

I wonder if the European ECU's know what to do with the O2 sensor input signals.

Cheers, TM