Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:43:06 -0400
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: ECU firmware location
Comments: To: tinker man <tinkerman007@gmail.com>

Well Mr. Tinkerman, if you live up to your name and like to tinker then spend a few hours and read the Mega-manual. http://megasquirt.info/ This is the future.

-----Original Message----- From: tinker man [mailto:tinkerman007@gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 7:56 PM To: pdooley Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: ECU firmware location

Hehehe...I'm sweatin' here and you call it a good reading...:-) Actually, there was a guy on this list attempting to do just that: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0709a&L=vanagon&D=0&P=11816

I'm indeed reverse engineering it to simply fix my damned van...(and to help other listees too). These devices are hard to find here. Take a look here to some of my findings: http://www.vanagonwiki.net/index.php/Second_type_of_idle_control_system

On 9/17/07, pdooley <psdooley@verizon.net> wrote: > Ahhh, but you are trying to reverse engineer it. > That would lead me to believe you plan on building an upgraded or perhaps > more durable unit. > > Either way, please continue. It makes for good reading:) > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > tinker man > Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:27 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: ECU firmware location > > You got me wrong... > I wasn't planning to re-invent the wheel (i.e. design and build my own > ISCU), just fix those darn (original) ECU and ISCU... > > On 9/15/07, pdooley <psdooley@verizon.net> wrote: > > Sudhir, I was thinking the same thing. > > The amount of brainwork going into this project is more than just changing > > to MS. > > However, if these talented individuals can design and build their own ISCU > > to interface with the stock ECU, well that would be good for the entire > > Vanagon community. > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > > Sudhir Desai > > Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:32 AM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: ECU firmware location > > > > You could always install a Megasquirt, and not have to worry about any > > of this. :D > > > > Sudhir > > > > On 9/15/07, tinker man <tinkerman007@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > > > > This is kinda getting in-depth into embedded systems design, but does > > > anybody know if the firmware for our ECU's (Digifant or Digijet) > > > resides completely on the 2732 EPROM or is part of it contained also > > > INSIDE the microcontroller itself? > > > The reason I'm asking this is because I suspect I have a fried > > > microcontroller (Intel 8049H) but if it's a custom version with > > > protected firmware inside, replacing it won't solve the problem. My > > > CPU reads: > > > MAF 8049H P A167 > > > 078801 > > > DSD8905V5 U > > > WBX82HSCH > > > (C) INTEL 1977 > > > > > > That WBX82HSCH stuff seems to hint it's a custom version > > > (WBX=WaterBoxer) with protected firmware, with some of the firmware > > > also outside in the external EPROM. > > > Any guru's out there? > > > > > > Cheers, > > > TM > > > > > > >