Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:51:58 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: ECU firmware location
Comments: To: tinker man <tinkerman007@GMAIL.COM>

Linear circuit like this without a schematic is very difficult to troubleshoot. Unlike digital circuit, a bad component that causes a signal (voltage) to drip off will be propagated to everywhere. That makes all signals all over the circuit board to goo wrong. It then becomes extremely difficult to locate the component that causes everything to go wrong. Digital circuit on the other hand is extremely easy to isolate the faulty device.

I would take a dumb approach to troubleshoot such a circuit board. Check all cable connection first. Check the power transistors by checking the P-N or N-P junctions to see if any of them becomes short or open. Check all resistors, especially power resistors, to see if any of them is burnt out or changed value because of heat over time. Look for any other components for sign of damage. This approach usually can be faster and sufficient to locate the bad component and have it replaced.

If you want to check out the active components then use an oscilloscope, preferably a digital scope that can memorize the measured signals. Sync and hold the signal with traditional scope is almost impossible for this task.

LM2902 can be configured as amplifier, filter, analog buffer, etc. Single supply voltage makes their circuit more complex than those with dual differential supply. But LM2902 and LM 2903 operating at such low power level makes them extremely durable. Troubleshooting with live voltage on can be more damaging than actual use on the Vanagon.

Your effort in troubleshooting it is admirable. Good luck.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469