Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Sep 2007 04:55:21 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Remembering the First Bus
Comments: To: Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>

My first bus was a white Kombi-looking thing that I got from some honest-to-God hippies in 1970 or 71 for free....sorta. They were from TX and driving a load of tapestries(and who knows what kind of drugs) to a head shop at the Iowa State U. campus in Ames when they burned a hole in the #2 piston in the small farm town of Clarinda in the SW part of Iowa. I happened to be in the VW dealer(a steady diet of hanging around all the mechanics as a teenager) when I overheard the Service manger tell them that a new motor was pretty expensive and towing it to Ames would also cost a lot of money. I talked to them outside and they said if I paid the $3.61 bill for the compression check at the International Harvester dealer in Clarinda, I could have the bus for free. Borrowing my roommate's Ford XL and renting a U-haul bumper hitch tow bar, I paid the bill and even drove it around town spewing oil out the breather of course. Got it home and slapped a used P/C in the holy cylinder and drove that bus all summer. Managed to get a legal title to it via Iowa law at the time and revelled in it's "0-60 in an afternoon" demeanor. It was unique to Iowa as it wasn't rusty and it had the double doors on the driver's side. not the passenger side. Ended up giving the bus to my roommate in exchange for him co-signing a loan for a 1963 Porsche 356B coupe(also from TX) that was totally cherry and $2100.......and yes it was the coolest car I've ever owned and I wish I still had it. Worked 80 hours a week at the Gulf Station for $1.85/hr. to be able to afford the Porsche payments.

Also bought a 71 bus while living in Arkansas(1977 or thereabouts) for $700 from an independent foreign repair shop and used it for my whitewater vehicle for many years until I found a 79 Loaf for $3000 in 1985. Put a lot of miles on it and two engines later, decided I wanted heat even in Arkansas and bought the current 90 GL off a truck lot in Little Rock in 1997. I managed to "gentile" the dealer down from the asking price of $5500 to $2750 when the salesman and I test drove it and the oil light was blinking. I didn't know much about Vanagons at the time, but I did know about the non-factory oil filter issue and that solved the blinking light to this day.

That's my story and I'm stickin' tuit....

DM&FS