Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:17:21 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: power steering rack leaking
Comments: To: George Thorburn <thorgk@ACCESSCOMM.CA>

George, The seal kit has been discontinued as of just a couple of months ago so probably folks still have it on their sites that don't know this or they may still have a few kits on the shelf. However I have never seen any instructions on how to rebuild one of these yourself and it is also problematic as to what to do if you have pitted or rusted rams on the rack (the normal reason they fail, since the rust causes the seals to fail). How do you repair this without machining?

So a rebuilt rack is the way to go in my opinion. I sell both the Maval rack and the ZF. The Maval is cheaper but has a core charge. The ZF is more expensive but this is the OE supplier for the rack (the original manufacturer of the rack) and it doesn't require a core (yay!). I have had good luck with the Maval racks in the past, although I would imagine the ZF ones are better quality. The Maval racks come with tie rods and boots already installed. The ZF rack is just a bare rack with nothing on it so you will want to also buy a set of boots, bushings and perhaps even some tie rods if yours are worn at all. You need to also replace your power steering filter (in the reservoir) and be sure to only use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Dexron/Mercon in the system. Don't use power steering fluid in the power steering system of your Vanagon! Doing so can kill the seals and cause the rack and pump to fail. If you look in your owners manual or on the cap of the system you will see this noted, however most folks just go to the parts store and buy a bottle of power steering fluid when they are low. It brings a tear to my eye ;-0 to think of it.

I hope this helps you.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com