Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:01:37 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cooling questions still
Comments: To: Stephen DeMocko <SDeMocko@FDSMFG.COM>

The only time I will ever touch a waterboxer head nut is if one nut is leaking, and that's the only leak, and maybe you can undo and reseal and retorque it. Otherwise, if you saw a typical waterboxer engine with the heads off.....what seals the exhaust into the combustion chamber is one metal ring sitting between the head and the barrel. It's derived directly and exactly from the air cooled 1600 design. And it was fine for years that exhaust gases leaked past the metal rings on air-cooled 1200's, 1300's, 1600's etc....made a popping sound under load. Heard a million old Bugs running around that way. Now, in their cheapness, and 'theoretically can work' german idealism.....they took the exact SAME design, and CONVERTED it to water cooling. The next 'sealing feature' after that metal ring at the top of the barrel......which after a long time just doesn't seal that perfectly....there's a green o-ring. This green o-ring keeps coolant from contacting the metal ring. These rubber o-rings get brittle or gummed up after a long time, and can't work. Bottom line - it's a mickey mouse system to begin with, heads should just be pulled after 80K miles anyway and resealed......so chances of getting it to seal again by retorquing are basically nil - like 'a most remote *maybe* if you have to get back from Mexico, and that's just to get home one time ' . I'm surprised no one hasn't made a much better retrofit sealing arrangement there. As it is, stock, it can only work for a while. You might notice that not one other manufacturer on the whole planet has such a mickey mouse head gasket sealing system. And, not to go on, but we haven't even started to talk about the 'outer water retention' gasket, and they have their own issues as well- primarily how well it is compressed, which is determined by how far down over the barrels the head goes.....I've seen engines where the space for the water gasket is too large, where it's too small, and where the surfaces aren't even parallel ! Anyway - retorquing ...not much hope I feel. Also.....you want to be sure the nuts unscrew from the studs, and not have a stud break off down in the case, at the bottom of the stud. Doesn't happen too often, but it's been known to happen, and then you really are in trouble. Oh right - wanted to share this. One guy told me how they ended up with the waterboxer engine the way it is -they told the engineers at the factory that they had 30 days to come up with a watercooled version of their air-cooled engine. I believe it !! But we love 'em, and they are GREAT vehicles. Think of it as an aircraft or car racing engine - after so many hours of operation, you pull the heads to reseal them and do a basic valve job, like standard procedure. scott www.turbovans.com -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Stephen DeMocko Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 10:14 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Cooling questions still

Ed, I think Ken is right about the combustion gasses leaking into the cooling. That is what mine was doing. How does the list feel about retorqing the heads if the outer coolant seal is not leaking? I know there is a chance of displacing the sealant under the head fasteners, but it would be easier than pulling the heads all the way off to replace the copper ring. Stephen DeMocko ('85 Westy Luci)