Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:58:39 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to do a head reseal on a diesel vanagon?

You make good points but I would be surprised if the head is truly original at 165k anyway. I consider it more likely that this will be the third time the head is off than the first. Some live long lives but many don't, particularly Camper models, and the 82s without the coolant level sensor are more likely to be overheated at some point in their lives when a leak occurs.

Mark

Scott Daniel - Shazam wrote: > I'm being facetious, but you should automatically retire the head on a > diesel vanagon with 1.6NA at 160K miles. I'll be surprised if the head > itself is decent or useable on this job, but we'll see - maybe it's fine. > In any case, do a nice clean job on a head gasket job, and hope for the > best...................or ............... > I don't know the exact situation of your friend or that relationship or any > of that of course - but I have seen cases where the customer goes for the > very cheap repair, and then is upset when it doesn't work out. Of all cars > out there in the world, overall ...a stock diesel vanagon with 1.6NA is WAY > up the scale of a poorly made, over-stressed engine, often with a poor or > cheap owner as well......be careful is all I want to say, very careful. > The way I'd approach the job, I'd sell it as a head removal and inspection > job first, and then see how things look and consider options at that point. > Agreeing to just slap in a new head gasket and hope for the best ......all I > can say is that 'some people' , no matter how many times you tell them it's > an emergency risky temporary repair, they get their hopes up that it'll be > fine for 5 more years, and they're very upset AT THE CAR TECHNICAIN WHO DID > THE WORK when it doesn't work out. ( btdt ) I doubt I would enter into > this job professionally unless there was good money available to deal with > whatever comes up. Red flags all over the place here, so be very careful. > scott > www.turbovans.com > >