Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:21:02 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: How to do a head reseal on a diesel vanagon?
Comments: To: Florian Speier <groups.florian@GMAIL.COM>

Hi. A 1.9NA would be the most gain for the price, and 'almost' isn't an engine conversion- very minor issues, big gain for the cost and not much difficulty.

If this van has the stock 82 diesel 4 speed trans, the DZ - Need to change that too, if it's to be very good. 'maybe' 300K miles in a Diesel Rabbit, yes maybe, in a diesel vanagon - 'not usually' is putting it kindly. He/she could be the nicest most considerate person in the world, and really takes very, very good care of their vans and cars. Why would I be having the impression that this person sort of 'leans on the rest of the world' about them getting 300K out of a 1.6 diesel engine in a vanagon ??? Just don't you get caught between someone's unrealistic expectations for their van, and what is reasonable to expect. It's sounding to me like the van's owner is 'pushing' on you to produce a result ( that the van's engine is half way through it's expected 300K mile life ) that is basically an unreasonable expectation. Which is why I suggest, if this engine is going to stay in there and hopefully be made to run in a viable way - One, you just sell the job of pulling the head for inspection and evaluation.

And then two, if you do do a head gasket, make it hyper clear that you responsibility is in doing the work only, and not how long it lasts or how perfectly it works after this job. I keep sensing the owner is pushing on you for an unreasonable-to-expect result. I can just SMELL it ....I can smell if from here. I've been down this road WAY too many times. Remember, their expectations are not your concern or problem. You just deal with FACTS. The facts are it's a 160K miles delectate engine pushing a too big van body.

Oh ! PARTICULARILY when the customer is doing the diagnosing !!! You can get in MAJOR TROUBLE that way !! What I would tell them is .....one, you can hire me to remove the head and we'll see what we see. That 'should' go down cleanly. And this....this part is VERY IMPORTANT - IF THEY WANT YOU TO DO A head gasket job when the 'Real Repair' is another and better engine. You tell them....fine, I'll put a head gasket on it for you, and I'll do careful work. But that is all I can be responsible for. I don't care what it does, or however briefly it lasts or whatever....if you are doing the diagnosing, and want to hire me to do a certain job, fine, but I am only responsible for doing my work correctly and NOT for the results. I don't think this is a 'real case' where this would apply - but people do hire me as a consultant, like to sell the job properly for you, and teach you how to do that at the same time...but I don't think this is a real case where we'd be doing that anyway. But it is a service I provide. I could go on and on about stories with , sorry .......assholes.......in California.........that will push and push on a hard working honest car technician, and jam him / her in a corner, and then go ballistic when things don't work out. I don't know why you are getting involved here - if it's to get the money, fine. Or the experience, that could be useful, but my hunch is someone wants you to make a silk purse out of a cow's ear, and you just happen to be 'their friend' that sort of knows about cars and engines. I'd bail, unless the dollars look good, and the expectations are well understood. And I would tell them about 10 times, if it fires up and runs, and the cooling system is all working, and you drive it 10 feet, you're part of the responsibly is then over, Period. I would so LOVE to sell this job properly for you, or to see YOU sell this job properly. I think you should lean way from doing it, if a diesel vanagon head job isn't something you can basically do blindfolded already, especially. It's a high risk job I think, or I suspect. I literally am short a few hundred thousand dollars for letting people jam me into a corner on their worn out cars with their cheap ways. A 'normal person' might just say - "OK, I got 160K out of that little sucker, let's put in a 1.9." And............... THEIR PROBPEM problem with their van is not YOUR PROBLEM in any way ! Don't do it unless it REALLY works for YOU.

Btw, it cost me many hundreds of thousands of dollars to learn this. I calculated that in 13 years ( just one small phase of my career in car repair ) in California, doing foreign car and vanagon repair, that I sold car repair jobs roughly 7 or 8,000 separate times. . Took me a long time to learn how to do that right - now they always go down cleanly, or it doesn't get to happen. Scott www.turbovans.com