Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:07:41 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rich on side, lean the other?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Worn intake guides can't show up as an intake vacuum leak. When the piston is descending on the intake stroke, with the intake valve open, it wouldn't matter if the intake valve guide was very worn - or put it this way - for an intake leak to show up that way, the intake valve guide would have to be SO worn out it's silly, and they are not the ones that wear so much anyway - it's the exhaust valve guides that get the wear.

Imbalance of wear, in rings or valves, left to right, makes good sense in one side being noticeably different than the other. Did the guy swap injectors side to side yet to see how that affects things ? Spray pattern would be a very good thing to eyeball, and it's not hard to do either - like 20 minutes to a half hour max to set it up so you can see the injectors spray. Very handy that way - letting the injectors just hang on the hose - you can't do that with a 'fuel rail' type fuel injection set up, or at least not easily. It's very easy on a vanagon.

The injector ground is the ECU control point. Each injector wire goes all the way back to the ECU. The ground is how the ECU fires the injector. The +12 volt is from the fuel pump circuit.

If one side is rich enough to noticeably foul the plugs, something is wrong. Is it really fuel or possibly oil? One often over looked source of vacuum leaks is the valve guides. An engine imbalance due to rings or valves can show up on one side of an engine.

Dennis