Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:42:40 -0400
From:         Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      adding LED interior lighting
Comments: To: eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM

Ed,

I am a sort of LED light fanatic.. Guess vanagon campers aren't my only affliction

Anyways.. They last a REALLY LONG TIME on decent batteries.. I carry a small AA&AAA battery charger in the glovebox, wired into a remote cig plug taped into the cig plug wires With ALWAYS having charged batts in the glovebox, it is really no inconvience for the rare time one dies out. Sure a little more initial investment, but the rechargeables are getting cheaper. And I REALLY DIDN'T want to run dozens of tiny supply wires all over my van, I have a large enough AUX harness in my inverter, and remote lighting system as it is.

I'm now in process of adding LED Clearance and rear visibility lights to my camper as I find myself on dark roads in unknown terrain with rain, mist, fog, snow.. And value my life and westy too much for someone who couldn't see the TINY stock tailights way low on the body.

That's just my $.02 hope it's helped shed some light on things.

Dan in NY

Ed Duntz <> Subject:

I would like to add some interior lighting to my '85 Westy. I have found = some battery powered LED lights that would work nicely, but they run on = AAA batteries at either 4.5 or 6 volts. I don't like the idea of = changing batteries and would like to run them off the van's battery. I = know that I could hook them up to a selectable voltage dc power supply = plugged into the cigarette lighter, but I'd like to find a way to run = them off of 12 volts.=20

Is there an easy way to run 4.5 or 6 volt LEDs on 12 volts? Some sort of = resistor inline? These lights are inexpensive as opposed to ones I've = seen online designed for 12 volts which are three to four times the = cost.=20

What would happen if I ran them on 12 volts instead of 4.5 or 6?

Can anyone point me to a good web site which explains these questions? = I've found some LED sites, but none that answer my questions.

Thanks, Ed in CT