Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:51:21 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: LEDs, AAAs, etc...
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

--- Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET> wrote:

> Sounds like a Government agency, all those initials... > > Last winter we camped for about 2 months and I used a couple of those > cheapo Sylvania stick up LED lights in my Alaskan Camper. Wonderful little > gizmos that went about 2 weeks on a set of AAA batts. Really very handy to > move around or stick where ever for temporary or permanent light without > stringing wires, circuits, etc. If you find a source of inexpensive > batteries, you can't beat those things and they give very nice light with > just a tap on the lens to control on/off. > I also use one of the headlamps with 3 leds and 3 AAAs to read in bed and > move around camp after dark. And to work on/under my van at times. A great > improvement over incandescent (sp?) lights..I have half a dozen of the > stick-up lights in my van, in a box for use where ever I find I need the > light.. > Dunno about wiring em into a big battery, never felt the need for that. > > Don Hanson >

I have 6 such 3 LED lights bought from Costco. I was thinking about to power them with 4 NiMH 2300MAH AA cells, a buck each from flea markets. Will need a small serial voltage regulator to get down to 4.5 volt. The 3 LEDs inside the light are in parallel for sure.

A small dimension solar panel can be mounted at the poptop to charge the NiMH cells all day during the day. As long as sun comes out every morning those LED lights will be plenty bright at night every night.

When the 3 watt LED light came out I changed my mind. I think one will be brighter than all 6 of those 3-LED lights. And one is much easier than dealing with 6. I may want to use 3 of them. I will need bigger battery then. Small Lead acid 6 volt 2 - 3 AH batteries are available from computer surplus stores. The LEDs will be connected in parallel. The lighting system will be totally independent of the main 12 volt battery. NiMH batteries are preferred because they are more durable.

You can power your Grundig radio by the same batteries as well. It should be a fun project.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7