Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:51:21 -0400
From:         Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2 LEDs
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

At 10:17 PM 9/18/2007, David Kao wrote... >In fact I fell into the same mistake a few years back in connecting >some >LEDs in serial. >You do not know how exactly manufacturers design their LED modules.

I do know how the major LED manufacturers suggest using their products. I don't particularly care how the poor design of some cheap Chinese flashlight is done. I've already pointed out, and provided a link to, how Luxeon sells a regulator which supports series connection of their high power LEDs.

Hewlett-Packard/Agilent, who at the time this tech note was written was a major LED manufacturer, advised a series connection: "The LEDs in a device could be electrically connected in parallel, with each LED having its own current limiting resistor. ...A more effective approach is to connect the LEDs within a light bar in a series/parallel circuit combination..." - www.avagotech.com/assets/downloadDocument.do?id=273 (Avagotech is the now spun-off HP/Agilent Semiconductor Products Group, and claim to be "#2 worldwide in LEDs for signs and signals")

Here's a semiconductor manufacturer who makes a white LED driver chip, "specifically designed to drive up to 12 white LEDs (6 white LEDs in series per converter)... Series connection of the LEDs provides identical LED currents resulting in uniform brightness and eliminating the need for ballast resistors and expensive factory calibration." - http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1094,C1766,P34513

So, you've said I'm wrong and challenged me to do an experiment - I did, and it worked fine. Then you said that you meant with high power LEDs, to which I pointed to a manufacturer's site and their explicit support of connecting LEDs in a way you say causes problems. Then you return to saying it won't work right with standard LEDs. HP says otherwise. Not once have you provided any authoritative reference at all for any your claims. I've provided links to manufacturers of both regular and high power LEDs, and to a semiconductor manufacturer, all of whom discuss the advantages of series connection of LEDs.

The 30-LED flashlights don't run the LEDs in series because they run on ~4.5V (3 alkaline cells, typically), and white LEDs have a voltage drop of around 3.5v, so they can't run two in series. If you were an EE, you would know that. But, the discussion is in regard to using automotive 12V power, were up to 3 such LEDs can easily be connected in series, with a 2/3 power savings over connecting them individually, which is what you advise.

Please go argue with the manufacturers, who have very much more experience and knowledge about the matter than you.