Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:12:59 -0700
From:         Lee Peterson <iridewheelies@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Back-up lights

I've been thinking about the 3w or 5w for backup lights for a while, they're not cheap so I was waiting until someone else tried them.

$30.00 each is a lot for bulbs but cheaper than fog lights. They wont burn out quickly either, unless they are made cheaply.

I wonder if the lens will diffuse the light too much/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html scroll down to the 5w bayonett

*5 Watt **15mm Bayonet Based LED Bulbs*

*These are by far the brightest LED Car Tail Light bulbs on the market *Our exclusive LX5 series bulbs use a 3 Watt Luxeon side emitting LED and 4 High Power surface mount LEDs Achieves light outputs even higher than standard filament bulbs 220 degree beam angle illuminates entire tail light lens

*Current Draw and Lumen Output @ 12VDC: *1156-xLX5 - 320ma - 132 Lumens *CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR WHITE LED CAR BULB COMPARISON CHARTS<javascript:popUp('compcarbulb.htm')> *

These bulbs were designed for and can only be used as vehicle brake/turn signal bulb replacements. To prevent over heating, they will automatically dim if turned on for long periods of time.

On 9/20/07, Mike S <mikes@flatsurface.com> wrote: > > At 04:59 PM 9/20/2007, Ed Duntz wrote... > >Are these brighter bulbs the same ones that some people sell as > >"special, > >brighter bulbs" online for Vanagon owners? > > I assume they are, there are only so many bulbs available in a > particular base style/voltage. I have no idea which specific ones > they're selling. > > Here it is organized a bit better, and added wattages and rated > lifetime, where I could find them. > > Rear BU/Stop/Turn BA15s - Single Contact Candelabra Bayonet > Stock P21W 21W 32 cp > US 1073 23W 32 cp 200 hours > US 1156 27W 32 cp 1200 hours > +.5 2396 29W 40 cp 400 hours > +1 1295 38W 50 cp 300 hours > +2 795 50W 108 cp - may melt lens with constant use > > Tail - BA15s - Single Contact Candelabra Bayonet > Stock P5W 5W 3 cp > US 67 8W 4 cp > +1 89 8W 6 cp > +2 93 13W 15 cp 700 hours - I've been running these without issue > > Front running/turn - BAY15d - Double Contact Index Bayonet > Stock P21/5W 21/8W 32/3 cp > US 1034 23/8W 32/3 cp 200/5000 hours > US 1157 27/8W 32/3 cp 1200/5000 hours > +1 P3496 27/8W claimed 45% brighter > +2 H1157 50/15W ??? - may melt lens? >