Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:09:49 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Fridge maintenance

Hi folks:

I have my fridge out to install one of the Go Westy update kits. This update kit appears to allow about four or five times as much air (per pump) than the stock air pump, and has a check valve and "O" ring to prevent any leaks. Fingers are crossed that it will help lighting the fridge.

The last time I had the fridge out, I completely cleaned the combustion chamber and used some "form a gasket". I checked this seal by putting a cork in one of the tubes and blowing into the other, and it appears to be tight as a drum to me. My fridge frequently does blow out at highway speeds, and someone mentioned that a leak in the system was the culprit, but I sure don't find any leaks.

While I have this thing out, any suggestions on what else to do as preventive maintenance? I have installed a computer fan in place of the stock, give it a thorough cleaning. Applied thermo grease to the thermo swtich. Should I pull athe heater rods out and give them a cleaning? What about burping the system? I believe this was done by turning the fridge upside down overnight, but don't remember the exact details. Is this worth considering? Not sure when the next time I will have the fridge out again, so wanna take care of it now.

Troy