Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:03:14 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: key codes
Comments: To: Kai Mei <kai@newclear.us>

> Hi is there a way to get the key code for my new vanagon, to have the > dealer cut me a "factory fresh" key?

The easy way? Remove one of your front door handles (one phillips screw, behind weather stripping on door edge) and read the number stamped on one of the two "tines" of the locking mechanism that stick out. Add an "N" to the front of the four digit number (e.g. "N5902", then take that and the door handle in to a reputable local locksmith that does automotive keys. If they know what they're doing you can say "Volkswagen Vanagon, N####" and they can look up the code , cut a key to that code, and then you can try it out RIGHT THERE on the door handle in your hand. Shouldn't cost more than about ten bucks for a code-cut key. The key blank to the Vanagon is unique to the Vanagon, so you may want to call first and make sure they have the key blank in stock. It's an Ilco X110.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"