Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:28:42 -0400
From:         Kai Mei <kai@NEWCLEAR.US>
Subject:      Re: Troublshooting High Idle 87 2.1 wbx

Jigging the throttle return spring for more tension... didn't fix the issue. (I hope there's not too much tension on it now, the extra tension does pull it back much more than before I shortened it (skinny spring under the IdleSTvalve.))

However cranking down the idle adj. screw did. It's lumpy and a bit surging but around 850 rpm. AC on bumps it up to 1000 rpm. Turning the steering wheel drags it to 500 and lights the low oil pressure light but it hasn't stalled yet.

Q: Can you pull off the plug wires at the dist. cap w/o bodily danger?

Q: I got 19 mpg or so on a 95 mi trip... does that rule out major top end problems like a burnt valve or cylinder not firing?

Q: I have no idea about the history of this van... but it seems to have a lot of grunt.

I'm kinda shocked in 2nd gear 3.5k pulled really hard considering the weight of the van. What I do know is it has r134 fittings, new compressor, at least 217k mi and someone replaced the valve covers with stainless steel "scat" covers... http://www.evwparts.com/ Merchant2/graphics/00000001/80240.jpg