Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:49:26 -0400
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Starting problems
Comments: To: khgo50 <khgo50@GMAIL.COM>

First of all.. it would help to identify what year, make, model, etc. you have!

Basic starting problems and "no crank" should first look at the following: 1. check ALL vacuum lines, pull them off, check for cracks around the ends, REPLACE if cracked, since if you lose vacuum it can cause idle and starting problems. 2. check ALL your electrical connections, pulling them apart, checking for clean connections, clean if needed, and reconnect using Di-Electric Grease. 3. check your chassis ground straps, take them off, clean with a wire brush, reconnect using Di-Electric Grease. 4. Check your sensor wires, look for breaks or cracks in the insulation, if seen, corrosion can enter causing false readings with the ECU. 5. Fuel, never hurts to through in a bottle of Fuel Injector Cleaner, and/or Dry Gas. Be sure to check the wire leads to the fuel pump.

Once you reply, with the model of your van, someone else may have further suggestions.

Just yesterday, two VW Buses pulled into the Buses by the Beach camp-out, with idling problems, both had bad vacuum hoses! Replaced the hoses, and bingo, they were on the road again. Something to check, easy to do, and a cheap fix, and often overlooked! By the way, one of the Buses was "professional" checked over, and said to be "road worthy" and it barely made it to the camp out. It took a couple of us motor heads just a few minutes to recognize the problem.

Good luck tracking your problem down. And let us know what model you have!

Jack R. N. of Detroit 84 Westy Wolfie, 2.1L 91 Syncro Motor