Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:29:21 -0400
From:         Walt Spak <b20swalt@CITY-NET.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon No. 19

High list,

I thought I might give everyone a report on the 19th Vanagon that I have owned. I have been through 1.9's, 2.1's, Westy's, GL's, L's over the years and like them all. I recently decided to purchase my first automatic transmission version because of a health problem that makes the clutch a little more work than it is worth.

I started watching Samba, E-Bay, and Craigs list and narrowing down what I wanted. I knew I didn't want to spend a lot of money as I am used to buying low and selling high. I also knew that my camping days are finished, so where as the Multivan is great, I really don't need it. In the end, I decided that I really wanted an 84 because the 1.9 seems to have more low end torque which is good for the Pittsburgh hills. I also didn't want anything power as those things tend to break.

I found a really clean, one owner, two tone blue, seven passenger GL in eastern Long Island that had only 74,000 original miles. The E-bay lister was selling for his neighbor who was too old to drive anymore. The seats look virtuously brand new and there is no seam rust at all. The paint still shines like new too. There was a little rust behind the front bumper, but I have taken care of it with "Extend" and by brush touching with enamel.

Eric Z and I drove up to Long Island on a Sunday, checked into a motel & picked up the Bus. I knew it had an exhaust leak, but was confident that I could drive it home. We left early on Monday morning and I drove it straight through to Pittsburgh. Even with holes in the head pipes, I got just over 19 MPG at about 70 MPH.

Eric & I (mostly Eric) pulled the engine, put replaced the head gaskets, complete exhaust, fixed the throttle linkage, repaired the sway bar links, replaced the front rotors and pads and it is finally ready to get inspection stickers this week.

I purchased most of the parts as usual from Ken Wilford (Van-Again) and I want to take a moment to thank him and personally recommend him as a parts source. He is always very willing to help trouble shoot, answer questions, and give advise. I can request good quality parts (ATE brake parts for instance) and be sure to get them. If I need something quickly, Ken will send it out right away (UPS is one day away by ground) with no extra charge. Next day air just isn't necessary.

I did buy the stainless steel muffler, tail pipe and hanger strap from Terry K. They fit perfectly and are of very high quality. I wanted the quiet muffler and it truly is. I ordered and paid Terry via Paypal. The next day he called and told me he was sending my money back because he couldn't deliver for 7 - 10 days. I had him keep the money as I had a lot of work to do before I needed the exhaust, and it came in the time period that he stated. He is a really stand up guy and makes great parts.

A great experience in a great community.

Walt Spak