Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:32:20 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dead mouse benind Westy cabinets?

And if you have any signs of seam rust, or rust around the camper inlets, I would recommend taking the time to pull the sink and water tank cabinets, and deal with the rust from the inside with POR-15. Really not as hard as it sounds, and very satisfying once it's all done. It's really good to know exactly what condition things are in back there. Mine was surprisingly good (especially for an originally east coast van with >400k kms), with little rust in the usual places, but an odd rust through spot about 1/2" in diameter right beneath the sink, about 6" from the drain outlet. It was spotting this rust hole from under the van one day that convinced me I had to get in there and pull it all out. I POR'd and fiberglassed the hole, and used POR-15 along the bottom edge beneath the camper inlets, around all the inlets, and applied rubber mat sound deadening to the inside of the sheet metal. I also pulled up the plywood flooring to check for any rust (none found) since this can only be done with the cabinets out. Plan for a week of downtime to do it right. Also a good time to clean or replace the water hoses from tank to sink.

Shawn Wright http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed '85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA