Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:20:02 -0400
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stuck in Alturas with electrical mystery

Hi all, from LyleLand, Washington (home to me) First, let me say thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice. Sometimes things do not happen in logical ways, and "local knowledge" about Vanagon-specific behavior is needed, or else enough general knowledge to figure out why things are behaving in a certain way..Like the O2 light/alternator light interconnection...who but a German engineer would work up a circuit like that? But ask a Vanagon-savvy person and they know exactly what is what..thanks, everyone.. (BTW..I did mention in my original post that the van was powered by a Rabbit inline 4, 1.8 liter from a 92 cabriolet..but I forgot to say "gas"..my bad.) So this am, I called around to find an alternator after messing around with the brushes and the electrical test meter. It would have been "usually, next day" to get it sent into Alturas to the NAPA store..So I decided to have one sent to LyleLand and to try to run "Total-Loss" all the way back..It worked..I bought a new 65 series battery at NAPA, and had my original vehicle battery re-charged for an hour. I was still running on the aux. or Coach battery, with about 25 night time miles on it. Next town north, on my way, was 55 miles..so off I went with a new batt. a fully charged good one and an iffy one running things. That one took me 40 more miles, the next one went 100-even...The iffy one was an old one from my ford truck..and perhaps the cause of the alternator's failing..It probably drew a big load every time the van started up...So, I bought a second NAPA one..to have two known good batteries to go with my new alternator, when it comes. The next battery in was the brand new 65 series, the same as my original, but well used VW battery, that gave me 100 miles..So the new one went in and took me all the way home, about 145 miles..and I have a virgin one left over for when I replace that alternator.. I think my wife's John Deere (1946 2 cylinder gas) wants the VW battery, and the recyclers will get the old Ford Battery.. One interesting thing is you don't need an ameter..When the battery was about flat, the gas guage and the temp needle took a "left" to the bottom of their dials...meant.."Dude, find a hill, park, and stick in another battery, soon!" Anyhow, thank you all again for the great input and support. I will never leave home again without my laptop at least..this next time, plus it's charger and I will also toss in my Bently.. Don Hanson