Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:25:50 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: trip report, Portland, Oregon>Bishop, Ca. return.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net>

Good point about the traction Don.

I'm thinking that:

(1) - the inline four is heavier than the WBX and helps shift the weight bias rearward. (2) - the slant puts more weight on the L/R wheel and your shim job helped to load the R/R better.

We need more folks to weigh their vans like that; Front & Rear separate.

Thanks, Jake

On 9/25/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > Yes, 165lb driver aboard. Weighed on an ODOT highway scale near > Lakeveiw, Oregon . One that remains on all the time. I've used it before as > I've passed that way. It only gives #50 increments. With the van's short > wheelbase, I could get the whole deal on at one time. With a pickup, you > have to weigh axle by axle and add the sums. > Unrelated: was the fact that by shimming up my van's right rear > spring, my traction is noticeably better as tested on my way up a clay/silt > two track to a campsite on this trip. Pre- adjustment...no way..this time, > no problem. > Unrelated #2: My fridge didn't go out the whole trip despite windy > conditions all the time. > Unrelated #3: Higher tire pressures gave me acceptable directional > stability this time down US 395..#58psi front and ~#54psi rear, right in > keeping with the weight distribution. > Unrelated #4: Average MPG was just over 23mpg and the major passes > could be negotiated at 65mph uphill, with a bit of finesse and some luck > with other vehicles as you climbed. When slowed at the bottom of a grade, I > could get back to 65-70 mph eventually by backshifting to 4th and leaving it > there to higher rpms...no tach, and a diesel 5 speed manual tranny inline 4 > gas motor. > Don Hanson > > ----- Original Message ----- > *From:* Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> > *To:* Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> > *Cc:* vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > *Sent:* Tuesday, September 25, 2007 11:31 AM > *Subject:* Re: trip report, Portland, Oregon>Bishop, Ca. return. > > Sounds like good fun, except for the alternator part. > > Was that weight with driver aboard? > > Thanks, Jake > >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com