Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:03:15 -0700
From:         Kyle Davis <davis_family_46168@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Hello!  We have some questions...

Hello!

At last, my long-time dream of re-obtaining a VW to proudly display in my driveway (and hopefully use as transportation) has come to fruition. I'm an air-cooled type of guy, but this 1984 Westy was crying out for some love and attention.

As I've stated, I've only ever owned air-cooled vws before, but I don't seem to know too much about the vanagon line. I could've sworn they were still making air-cooled in 1984, but I guess I was wrong.

I didn't know they made diesel, either, but there you go.

Anyway, I took my wife to look at this, and she fell in love with it. It supposedly has cracked heads, and the previous owners (one of the many favors they didn't do for me) was dissasemble the engine partway. I haven't had the time for a visual inspection of the heads, but I am taking them at their word.

The first order of business was to clean up the vanagon. It was disgusting! At least they didn't trash the popup top or any of the mattresses. The passenger sunvisor is trashed (this is the one with the lights), the front passenger bucket seat has some sort of weird stain or something on it, and the van has the usual fair amount of rust, but underneath looked blissfully rust-free. It's a full camper. For what we paid for it, I could make a profit off of it by parting it out to ebay, but I don't want to do that. The plan is to get it running first, then just continually sink money into it until it is 100% again.

We haven't named it yet, but I am tempted to name it Richard or Lieber, after the guy who came over from Germany to Indiana to start our State Park system back in the middle 1800s.

He is a 1.9 water cooled manual transmission full camper. Now, I get down to the brass tacks and questions, in order of importance from greatest to least.

1.) If the cylinder heads are indeed cracked, will the 2.1 heads work on a 1.9 engine?

2.) If I am correct in understanding this, cylinder head cracking is fairly common. Where does everybody else get theirs, and, if you don't mind me asking, what have you been paying for them?

3.) Would it be better to just get a new (to Richard) engine? I may be able to lay my hands on a 2.1. I am not that mechanically inclined, but a buddy of mine is a professional auto mechanic, and I do know my way enough around a garage floor to make myself dangerous. So, this would leave out most non-VW solution engines. Has anybody had any experience in going from water-cooled to air-cooled? Or from gas to diesel?

4.) Does anybody happen to know where I can get an exterior sliding door handle for cheap, especially in Indiana?

5.) I also wouldn't mind finding out where to get a replacement passenger side sunvisor (the kind with lights.) VW wants about $300 for those, if they can get them.

6.) Is anybody aware of where to locate the Westy Tables? Ours is missing the sliding one for the back bench, and I guess there may have been one for the middle as well?

7.) How do the middle seats come out? I would like to really investigate the fridge closer, but I couldn't figure this one out. Also, how do the front seats swivel?

8.) Are there any other Westy owners in Indiana that I can pester, or maybe hang out with at a state park once this thing gets campsite ready?

9.) Eventually, when we get enough money, we will want to seriously re-paint the car. Until then, can anyone recommend a good solution to bring back a more shiny version of the dark brown and tan two tone combination paint job? Also, I was toying with the idea of keeping a 2 tone paint job, but have the top half white and the bottom half red, like on some of the older splitties.

10.) Speaking of paint and rust, we've noticed that the bolts, eyelets, and other hardware for the pop top externally are rusted. Some of the rust has found it's way to the fiberglass top. Can anybody recommend a good cleaner for that? Some guy on ebay was selling stainless steel replacement bolts and claiming you couldn't get them anywhere else, is that BS, or really true?

11.) Last question. This popup business intrigues me. What is the maximum load capacity of the top bunk for the Westy campers?

I, along with my family, eagerly await answers to any of your questions. We are located in central Indiana.

Thanks!

Kyle

____________________________________________________________________________________ Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting