Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:19:20 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which Wheels
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

There are 5 Mercedes wheels like mine on Seattle Craig's List right now for $80/all. That's a real bargain.

See mine at http://subyjake.googlepages.com/

On 9/26/07, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > Alloy wheels always are slightly better for .. > Less unsprung weight, > Sometimes more offset that gives you a slightly wider track, which is > slightly better for cornering stability. > And they are a half inch wider and may help provide more tire stability. > I'd say up to a 10 % improvement overall in vehicle dynamics, maybe 15 %. > You 'll notice all performance/modern cars have alloy wheels. > > Steel wheels are easier to deal with for getting tires mounted and > balanced, > Less attractive from a theft viewpoint, > And generally cheap and durable. > I'd run the factory alloys over aftermarket ones generally - they are true > 14 inch factory alloy wheels specifically designed for vanagons. > Scott > www.turbovans.com > now...if I could just find a good deal on 5 decent 15 inch vanagon > wheels...( I got the good tires - Aggilles ) and not Audi or Passat ones > with too much offset, and not 140 bucks each new, and not heavy like the > Rhein alloy 15 inch vanagon wheels. > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Todd Last > Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:37 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Which Wheels > > I'd vote for keeping both sets. > > Use the steel wheels for a set of good winter tires, and the alloys for > some > nice summer tires. > (Since it looks like you live somewhere that would see snow or wet > winters.) > > Given average driving, I don't think you are going to subject either wheel > to enough distress to have any problems. > I'd say the tires you are running will make more of a difference than the > wheels. You did not say how much wider the alloys are or their offset. > There > is a possibility that they might add some small degree of stability - > again > depending on the tires you are running. > > > Todd > '88 Westy > > > > Interesting that your pop-top has no opening vent - I thought they all had > one. (I can see the cut-out for it.) > > > > > -------------- Original message ---------------------- > From: Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM> > > I am having trouble making a decision between two sets of wheels. One > > option is a set of BBS alloys that I have had sitting around for a few > years > > and the other option is a set of stock alloys. Both are 14" although > the > > alloys run wider tires (205s are on them now). I thought that I was a > steel > > wheel purists and have never even mounted the bbs wheels but when I put > the > > alloys on my old van in preparation to sell it I have decided that I > like > > the way they look. Currently I am thinking that steel is more reliable > > and/or easier to fix and that the stock tire width will perform better > and > > am therefore probably not going to keep the alloys, but maybe it is time > for > > a change? What does the collective wisdom of the list have to say? Any > > obvious reasons to go either way that I am overlooking? Any flaws in my > two > > reasons stay with steel? > > > > Photos of the two wheel sets can be found here: > > > > http://poolio.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26 > > > > < > http://poolio.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26> > > > > Thanks > > > > Jonathan Poole > > '82 AC Westy's >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/