Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:15:01 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15 deg I-4?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net>

Hi Don.

I know that Dave Marshall used to sell 15 degree kits (pretty sure about the angle). True one would have to mod. the engine lid, and in my case get some headroom by removing the storage cabinet above engine, (personal pref.) but that's a sacrifice I could live with. Of course I would measure first.... cut once.. blah blah.

First off, just to be clear to everyone, I'm not knocking any particular engine conversion or manufacturer.

In my case, the body on my van is no "prize". It is, however, well maintained in most aspects. (just don't look at the canvas!) All I need is a little more power, and real heat. I don't want to spend more than is realistic for that van.

If I went with diesel, that means all the diesel Vanagon parts. Starter, clutch housing, clutch, oil pan, etc. More $$

If I went Suby, I would need Suby specific conversion parts. Headers, reverse coolant manifold, mounts/supports, various doo-dads for the cooling system etc. More $$

With the VW gas I4....

IF I could use the exsisting air cooled starter, and the I4 clutch/flywheel,

IF I could make or have made the supports, (thus using the Jetta brackets)

then the conversion parts cost will likely be lower.

As for used diesel "kits" for under 500$ I've seen them for around $1000, but then maybe I need to search more. --- :^)

I could be wrong, but saving money using exsisting parts on my van, and ones from the donor vehicle, should save me money.

No? Yes?

Neil.

On 9/27/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > Not sure why you think you'll do better, money wise, going the route you > outlined for your conversion. You may be 'buying' a bunch of headaches by > going that route..I dunno that for sure, but ... > There seems to be available "standard" diesel-type conversion packages > available often, used, for very cheap money...I've seen a few for under > $500, then add the engine, which I often see for around $300 (gas 1.8liter, > complete) > The "tried and true" Inline 4 conversion, at least you would KNOW what > works, before you find yourself stuck with custom fabrications or > modifications to make an unforeseen piece-adaptation. > I am not saying your plan is not a good one, or that you shouldn't give it > a go, but 're-inventing the wheel' usually ends up costing more in the end, > unless you are super lucky. You mention you want to save money..keep your > eye out on the Samaba list and you'll soon see the whole conversion kit come > up, I bet... > Good luck with it, I really like the 1.8 liter in my inline > conversion...Cheap, dead simple to work on, decent power and good > mileage...I did burn a quart of oil on my last trip...about 3000 miles > through the mountains..hee hee. Dang expensive V W motor... > Don Hanson >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Please send fav Vanagon/Westfalia links to me at: musomuso1963@hotmail.com