Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:55:38 -0400
From:         Karl Mullendore <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM>
Subject:      New fridge replacement option for the Dometic
Comments: To: TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com, Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com, Westfalia group
          <Vanagon-Westfalia@yahoogroups.com>

A few years ago, I replaced my original troublesome Dometic 182 fridge with a Norcold DC-0040 compressor fridge. It has been a key to lowered stress levels on my many roadtrips. Turn it on, and ten minutes later it's cold, forget it more or less until I get home and then turn it off. But I always hoped for a better alternative, one that had true multi-voltage ability and a lower sound level....

Today I installed the first of what I view as the answer, the best little fridge replacement out there. It is manufactured in Italy, but has a US presence and service network. The fridge uses a Danfoss compressor, which is not only very efficient but so quiet that you would need to touch it to tell it is running. The small circulation fan on the cooling unit is the only audible sound, and there is absolutely no vibration. Much better than the Norcold I have been using. Inside it has two door shelves and variable-height main shelf, interior light, and covered freezer section. It is designed to run on 12, 24, 110, or 230 volt current, automatically choosing the source depending on what is connected. It consumes 2.8 amps on 12-volts, but runs so little that a standard starting battery could run it 4 days, more on a larger deep-cycle battery. No more headaches about pilot lights, propane, etc. Usable space inside the fridge seems to be about double that of the Dometic 182. And yes, it really does make ice, even in hot weather.

It does require minor trimming of the original fascia panel of the cabinet, or optionally one could have a cabinet maker fabricate a new panel to save the original. I chose to use the original since I had already trimmed the hole to fit the Norcold. Also necessary is relocation of the 110-volt outlet under the sink, as this fridge use the entire cabinet space. A little trimming of the 1/8" plywood at the rear of the fridge and you're set.

The only downside is cost: I would like to offer these to folks at the deepest discount possible, which means I would need to become a dealer for the company. To do so would mean I would need a minimum order initially of ten units. This would bring the cost down to around $550 plus UPS/FedEx. (list price is $880, yikes!) SO, what I'd like to do here is basically what I did with the Propex heaters: An initial group buy, if there is enough interest maybe we can convince them to offer an even better discount, but I'll need ten as a minimum commitment to get this rolling. Photos of the fridge as pulled from the box and then mounted can be seen here: www.westyventures.com/parts.html . Let me know your thoughts and / or interest level. Thanks for reading this long-winded note!

Karl www.westyventures.com