Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:33:21 -0400
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW gas I4 Engine Conversion input needed. (I think I've made
              my choice)
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Neil- Going 15 degrees with an I4 VW motor is a good economical choice. Try to find a 2.0 liter ABA with the factory engine management.

You don't need any diesel specific parts. Get the KEP adapter; this will include the proper flywheel. Trust me, this is the way go; don't try messing around pressing rings gears on something else. KEP offers many choices in clutches.

Mounts are simple- the VW Fox uses a longitudinal mounted motor and these mounts work best. You can find them in most junkyards dirt cheap. Buy new rubber (very cheap) and use the metal brackets from the JY.

I can send you pics of my setup so you can see how simple this is to do without screwing around with diesel parts or Tiico stuff.

Hi all.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 15 degree 2.0 (poss. w/1.8 head) VW inline 4 gas conversion on my 81'Westy. I'd appreciate confirmation on my "game plan".

Engine/tranny:

Get a 2.0 gas Jetta/Golf donor, and KEP, or other, adaptor plate, and keep the stock Vanagon starter. I hope to swap the geared ring from air cooled flywheel to the I4 flywheel thus keeping the I4 clutch/flywheel. Is this possible?

Will the extra length on air cooled tranny input shaft be "taken up" by the adaptor plate? i.e. no need to shorten input shaft?

I can rig up a cooling system (already have heater core intsalled)

I assume the aluminum I4 engine mounts can be used with the appropriate carriers. (engine supports)

True?

FWIW, reasons for going 15 deg. gas I4 are to save money. Diesel and Suby look attractive, but from what I can tell, cost more. I'll save that for a cherry rust free Westy/Vanagon!

Thanks for any answers or other info.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Please send fav Vanagon/Westfalia links to me at: musomuso1963@hotmail.com