Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:41:35 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW gas I4 Engine Conversion
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@yahoo.com>

Thanks Robert. I concur.

I also understand that one can use Saab rubber mounts. Frank G had done a lot of research on that one. (plus more IIRC)

Yup. That is part of my game plan. Save money using parts from donor for 15 degree. Of course I would need to make or have made, the engine support bars.

Who knows. A diesel Westy came up locally on CL. I may check it out. It needs a new engine.

We'll see......

Neil.

On 9/28/07, Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@yahoo.com> wrote: > 50 degrees .... likely one of > > the biggest reasons it has significant > > vibration or > > "buzziness". > > > > Bob > > > Tiico "buzziness" is not due to the angle the > engine is mounted. > Some 15 degree Jettas , Golfs, etc have a little > shock absorber between the block and the frame. > > Vibration is an inherent part of the inline-four > engine design. > > The original Tiico kits lacked factory alternator > and AC compressor brackets, and harmonic crank > pulley. > > The use of substandard brackets and pulleys > allowed natural vibrations from the engine to be > transferred. > > The poor quality Tiico alternator bracket was > often misaligned which allowed for the belts to > vibrate. It was nothing more than a metal plate > with pipes welded to it. > > 1.8 VW engines have significant side -to-side rod > motion, hence vibration. > This was solved by introducing the 2.0 liter ABA. > This has longer rods which minimizes side-to side > rod movement. > > Tiico is now selling it's kit with German made > brackets, I'm not sure of the crank pulley. > > The harmonic crank pulley is a heavy cast pulley > with a bonded rubber damper ring sandwiched in. > > I have the ABA engine with all these features and > no vibration. > > The other question I would like to address is the > engine angle. The Diesel or Tiico 51 degree angle > keeps the engine under the lid. > > Using the 15 degree requires raising he engine > lid as the manifold will rise above the access > edge. > The advantage if you aren't concerned with losing > space in the rear is you can use the engine > straight from the donor with fewer adaptations. > > It's also convenient to use the adaptor plate > which is a must for automatic transmissions. > > > Robert > > 1982 Westfalia with '95 ABA engine > > > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games. > http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Please send fav Vanagon/Westfalia links to me at: musomuso1963@hotmail.com