Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:13:37 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Update on my westy!
Comments: To: Kyle Davis <davis_family_46168@YAHOO.COM>

Kyle,

That ATF tank in the engine compartment is for Power Steering Fluid. And, yes, the system takes automatic transmission fluid. Specified is Dexron but you'll find Dexron III on the shelves nowadays.

The brake fluid reservoir is under the cover for the instrument cluster. If you're sitting in the driver's seat, reach over the instrument cluster with both hands. You'll find indents on the windshield side. Pull back toward you (doing so will also tend to pull up) and the cover should come off.

The front windshield washer tank filler access is under the carpet on the driver's side.

I don't know for sure which hoses you refer to but hoses can be obtained from online vendors such as http://www.vanagain.com or http://www.busdepot.com

The knob for the rear seat should be straight and, for your model, should just pull straight out to operate. With it pulled, lift the front of the seat a bit. To make into a bed, with the seat lifted a bit, pull the lower part of the seat toward the front of the vehicle. The seat should then flatten.

As to the screws that hold the middle seat to the rails, try PB Blaster (like liquid wrench). Apply several times and let soak in for a day or so. Make sure the screwdriver you're using has a large enough blade.

Mike

Kyle Davis wrote: > Hey guys! > > I didn't realize that there were so many places > to clean on a westy. Here's the latest update: > > Still battling it out with the drivers side > window door regulator. Will consider the excellent > suggestion of lubricating the said regulator, but I > think it may be bent a little out of shape after I've > been working on it? > > More on the cylinder engine head front-I've done a > thorough visual inspection of the cylinder head that > has been removed from the vehicle, and could find no > cracks, hairline, or otherwise. The rubber gasket > around it even seemed pretty healthy for rubber that > is that old. The piston ring gaskets do have their > usual oxidization, however. A better glance of the > engine compartment yielded the following mysteries: > > 1.) There is a tank back there labeled ATF OIL. > But the westy is a manual. Is this what it says it > is, or is it a brake fluid reservoir? > > 2.) POs have really begun to PO me off. They > tried their best at removing the hoses, etc from the > left side, but ended up cutting one instead of > removing it (!) and also, some of the other hoses look > kind of frayed. Is it a big deal to get replacement > hoses, or did the PO hose me as well? > > That's it for the engine. Here's the skinny on > the rest of it: > > Found the strips that slide in where the bench > slides out. In that process, I found more areas to > clean inside the vehicle (under the back seat where > the jack is.) > > There is a sticker under that back seat in > several languages advising you to push in the seat > belts before converting the back seat to a bed, but > nothing stating how that happens. > > The knob I pulled on to open up the back seat is > at a funny angle, and will only function when it is > unthreaded a ways. Should this be straight? > > The bench seat retaining screws still refuse to > give. I could only crack open the refridgerator door > enough to ascertain that it is, in fact, in the off > position. > > One more thing about underneath the back bench, > there is a level that states off and on. I think this > may control the regulation of heat to that duct under > the seat? > > That's all I got for now. I'm through with > buying stuff for it (unfortunately) until next payday. > > (but that doesn't mean I won't continue to tinker with > it ;-) > Kyle > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. > http://farechase.yahoo.com/ >