Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:09:14 -0700
Subject:      Re: Tiico buzz / vibration / whine
Comments: To: Ron LK Johnson <adhocmedia@COMCAST.NET>

Volkswagen spends millions on designing engines and vehicles. TiiCo and really nobody else who does conversions on our vans has those resources available to them. The best thing is to stick as close as possible to what the factory did. The early TiiCo engines they strayed from this and built their own brackets for the alternator and AC and vibration was a huge problem. From what I hear, they have switched to the OE style brackets on the new engines they are offering and this is no longer a problem. I also know people who installed OE brackets on the older motors they sold and the problems went away.

Personally, if you are into gasoline engines, the Subi 2.2 and 2.5 are great motors and are better bang for the buck than a 2.0L VW gasoline engine - if you can go for a 2.5 as it has the torque that a Vanagon so desperately needs. Ultimately, IMHO, install a TDI engine in there - this gives you all the torque you need and significantly better fuel economy and cheaper fuel.

David Marshall

http://www.hasenwerk.ca http://www.fastforward.ca

Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2

On Fri, September 28, 2007 12:53, Ron LK Johnson wrote: > A follow-up question to the post discussing current improvements to > the Tiico package which reduce/eliminate the vibration problem. I am > contemplating an engine conversion for my '91, still looking over all > of the possibilities. This week I ran into a Vanagon enthusiast, who > seems to have a lot of experience and is mechanically inclined. He > stated that he had ridden in and driven 2 (or 3) Tiico converted vans > and that the whine just drove him crazy, so... he will be saving up > his shekels for a 2.2 Subaru conversion. Any comments? Can recent > convertees to Tiico report on their aural experiences? > > > Thanks, > Ron Johnson > Portland, OR >