Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:33:00 -0400
From:         Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: buying a 1986-1991 westfalia camper - help
Comments: To: Michael Morris <raindog35@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

My first advice would be to make sure to save a good chunk of that 15k for the unexpected problems that will arise after the purchase. Don't let anyone make assurances to you that a van is in such perfect mechanical condition that nothing could go wrong. (If they are talking like that, ask what kind of warranty they are offering?) Keep in mind you're buying a vehicle that is 20 years old.

As far as looking, I would watch thesamba, ebay, and maybe even autotrader.com, and don't buy anything you haven't examined yourself.

Good advice that has been repeated here often: don't buy a van from 1000 miles away and plan on driving it home. You want to get it shipped back.

Finally, I would advise you to be very patient. The best deals and opportunities are unlikely to be the first ones you look at. I would spend a month only WATCHING ads and prices (this includes going to look at some of the vans). Then, after this warm-up period, buy the next van that is a significantly better value to you than all of the ones you've already seen.

Michael Morris wrote: > I live in San Francisco and am finally pursuing my goal of buying a Westy. I want to get one with relatively low mileage and in excellent mechanical and body condiition. This is more important to me than price. I can spend up to 15k. Can someone recommned where I should look? Better to buy from a dealer or private party? Anybody familiar with reputable sellers in Bay Area? > >