Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:29:51 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idea for gauge placement
Comments: To: Zoltan Kuthy <zolo@foxinternet.net>

Thanks, Zoltan. The white gauges are from Brent Weide's Subie site: http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon. I think SmallCar up in Tacoma has them as well but they are pricey. I sent Brent a few bucks for his trouble and he sent me the PhotoShop files for the faces. He can send you the printed faces instead of files as well. I altered the design slightly in PS and then printed them out on Tyvek (plastic) paper. Took the gauges apart and used 3M spray glue to mount the white faces to the old face plates. Its small and fairly delicate work. You have to get the new faces aligned properly and cut out the tiny odo windows with an exacto knife, etc. Its good to have the files so you can print out another set after you botch the first one (did that). White faces are MUCH easier to see at night as well as day.

The check engine light is wired to my Subie ECU. Imagine that---a wee blinky light that tells you when something is wrong with your engine! = ). Using the spot for the old VW OXS light worked out well.

The volt meter gauge runs out of the fuse box and the oil pressure and water temp are wired to sensors on the Subie 2.2 engine. I ran a length of cheap 110V extension cord from the engine to the front---I used the extension cord so I'd get three wires at the front when I pulled the wire instead of just one. Actually, if you buy a cheap 50ft extension cord for this, cut it in half and run two sets of three together since you already under there anyway. You might need the extra three wires someday. Use a cheap cord---it'll be thinner and easier to pull. I brought all the wires up under the dash cluster cover together with a m/f plug so that I could take the cluster cover off easily. The lights on the new gauges are wired to the dash dimmer switch for total dimmer -luxury.

Hope that helps, Jeff