Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:11:10 -0600
From:         Don Spence <dkspence@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ping List Admin re: Post I'd like to put on the Wiki
Comments: cc: camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM, Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

Under US copyright law:

Copyright protects the particular way an author has expressed himself; it does not extend to any ideas, systems, or factual information conveyed in the work.

SO, if you rewrite it without quoting it is fine to do so.

One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords. This right is subject to certain limitations found in sections 107 through 118 of the Copyright Act (title 17, U. S. Code).

One of the more important limitations is the doctrine of “fair use.”

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as

criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; the nature of the copyrighted work; amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. For more complete info see:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html