Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:48:52 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: MIG welding.
Comments: To: "Gary Lee www.vwrack.com" <gary2a@telus.net>

Wow this is really useful stuff guys.

So I will need to install a larger breaker in the panel. At least that way I'll have a "dedicated" circuit.

Slow and steady. I recall from learning how to bronze braze seams on trombone bells just how important position, speed, and of course flame setting was. It was tricky. Especially on copper bells. I wish I had had the chance to build more of them. That was such "old school" stuff. Bronze with Borax and water. Lay down a line of that, warm it up, then braze. Once you got a puddle going, there was a very short window of time before you could *easily* burn a hole through. yeesh. BTDT. And all this with propane and an air compressor.

Maybe I'll get into something a little more skookum the 110V setup. Like a 220V. Especially If I'm going to the trouble of running a new circuit. But then I'll need two open spots on the panel..... hmm.... we'll see.

Thanks again!

Neil.

On 10/1/07, Gary Lee www.vwrack.com <gary2a@telus.net> wrote: > >What kind of wire welder did you end up getting? I guess a lot of us > >are looking and brands/numbers are good. > > >In reading up on MIG welders, it seems that regardless of 110 or 220 > >VAC needs, I may have to run a new circuit (20 or 30 amp) from the > >service panel. I was hoping to get away with a 110 on a standard 15 > >amp breaker, but maybe not. > > My welding, I do a lot of it, is all for vanagons. Here are some of > my opinions, in the context of vanagon usage. > 110 volt migs are okay for sticking thin stuff together. It won't > look good, especially if you are using flux core. But the machines > are inexpensive to buy and will work. Don't even think of making > trailer hitches or doing structural repairs with a 110 volt welder. > Not enough heat, not enough penetration. > > You will need a 20 amp outlet for your 110 volt mig. You may be able > to get by with a standard 15 amp circuit for short bursts, but the > breaker will probably be tripping all the time. > > When welding, go slowly and smoothly. Avoid jerky erratic > movements. With these small migs you have to go slow to get enough > heat into the metal. The bead will look better if you weave a > consistent pattern. > Use both hands to hold the gun if needed, one hand near the tip. > Again, smooth and consistent will give a better looking bead. Relax, > don't have a death grip on the gun. > > The $60 autodarkening helmets from harbor freight and princess auto > work fine for the infrequent welder. Put that on your list of things > to buy, it will make welding a lot easier. > > If you are using a 110 volt welder, use the thinnest wire you can > get. That would be .023 for gas and around .030 for flux core. > > - Keep the gun cable as straight as possible, this helps with feeding. > - Keep the spool of wire clean. > - Don't bother trying to weld aluminum with any of these cheap (under > $2000) welders. It's tricky to get it to feed at the best of times > on a good machine. > - Cut the wire at an angle, this helps starts with small machines. > - If the wire is burning back, increase wire speed. > - Your first attempts at welding sheet metal will be frustrating. > You'll get burn throughs and unwanted build ups requiring grinding. > - After a while you will learn to finesse the trigger to control heat > and burn throughs and to fill gaps. > - A properly set up mig (wire speed and voltage) results in minimal > spatter. > - You will get used to the sound the arc makes to know when the setup > is correct. Smooth sizzle vs harsh crackle etc. > > Properly done, mig welding can be fast, strong and look good. > > Gary Lee > Miller XMT 304 power source > Miller 22a wire feeder > Miller dynasty inverter tig > 1986 vanagon > > www.vwrack.com >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Please send fav Vanagon/Westfalia links to me at: musomuso1963@hotmail.com