Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Oct 2007 23:10:59 -0700
From:         Kyle Davis <davis_family_46168@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      This just HAS to be a new question...

Hey all,

From personal experience (and list lurking and ebay hunting) powerplant transplants are pretty common in the vanagons... A majority of them are well documented 2.1 in a 1.9, air cooled to water, diesel to gas, vw to suby, vw to porsche, vw to tiico, gas to tdi, etc.

I also remember reading about an electric bus (not vanagon) so I can presume gas>electric.

This brings me to my next question. Did anybody ever consider going halfsies with that last one, ala Toyota Prius or Honda Insight style?

The most bizarre conversion I've heard of was VW to Ford 2.8 liter v6 (somewhere, Ben Pon must be in shock, or rolling over in his grave.)

I would dearly love to tell the oil industry what to do with high gas prices and convert the westy into total electric, but a few things hold me back.

1.) Practicality. The westy is basically a fully-laden with camping gear bus. An electric motor, no matter how many batteries feed it, just may not be able to do much with that.

2.) Cost.

3.) Safety. Excessive electricity around lpg may be an inherently Bad Idea TM.

4.) Getting back to 1, it gets reasonably cold here in the midwest, and my research of pure electric cars mentioned using hair dryers as heaters.

So, how feasible would it be to meet in the middle? And, I'm not necessarily saying bolt on a prius or an insight, or even a ford escape hybrid engine into this solution, or suggest that that would even work. I guess I am just wondering if anybody has tried this, and, if so what measure of success or failure they were able to obtain...

Kyle

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. http://farechase.yahoo.com/