Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:21:03 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on running Mobil-1 Synthetic oil
Comments: To: bulletheadx@GMAIL.COM

Sure they do! Most of the dirt in oil is the result of the oil itself breaking down. If the oil does't break down, no dirt to clog or fill the filter. The Vanagon filter is fairly large for the engine size. Should be no need to change it more frequently than the oil. Factory recommendation is 7,500 miles for both conventional or synthetic for both the oil and filter. So that should be no problem for a modern oil especially a synthetic. So far that interval has worked for FUN BUS for 251,000 miles. Recent oil sampling has also supported those intervals. Reason for last change recommendation was excessive nitration. Oil was still clean and within viscosity specs but high temperatures where causing the Mobil to breakdown. The Fox on the other hand makes it to about 14,000 miles and recommendation comes out as excessive wear particles.

If you really want to know how often to change your oil, oil analysis is the only way to go.

Dennis