Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:07:38 -0300
From:         David Etter <detter@MAIL.AURACOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: VDO Guages not working

Jonathan:

RE: oil pressure gauge reading off the scale....

Try grounding the gauge wire (near the sender) while the engine is running (or ign on) and see if the gauge goes to "0" pounds pressure. If it does, the gauge is working properly. If not the wire may be discontinuous due to poor crimping. Check the wire for continuity. The try grounding the gauge terminal directly at the back of the gauge. If it is still reads off the scale then the gauge is bad. When disconnected the oil pressure gauge reads infinite resistance (high), the same as when actual oil pressure jumps too high. Short of being defective, the gauge is telling you that it is NOT going to ground. To check the sender, put a meter on the "G" sender terminal. Set the meter to the lowest numerical resistance setting and read it as the engine is revved. If there is a repeatable change in resistance that varies with engine rpm, it's working. Short of that, then the "G" terminal on the sender may be broken inside.