Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:12:36 -0700
From:         Chad Lyles <chad.lyles@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      84 Vanagon GL Intake Air sensor?

Hello all, my name is Chad I'm new to the list and to the world of vanagons, i have owned many VW's but never a vanagon. so... i have some trouble shooting questions.

OK here are my symptoms.

when i take off from a dead stop or just try to accelerate quickly, like passing gear (punch it) i am "hopping" its not stalling, but lurching, and i am gaining very little speed or RMP's. if i let back on the throttle a little i lurch forward and gain speed...i can get up to speed but not very efficiently and cruising is fine...the gear change is smooth (its automatic). i am also having some cold start idle problems that dissipate once the engine has warmed up nicely...the guy i just bought the vanagon from told me all this stems from the intake air sensor...and i would like some input before i buy a new because they are difficult to find used and new they are really expensive.

my questions are: *does this sound like its the air sensor? or does this sound like something more serious? *will this harm anything if its not fixed promptly? *are the idle and acceleration problems part of the same issue? * if this is an air sensor problem can i by-pass the sensor? (i was told there was a way but i don't trust the idea honestly)

i am sorry its so many questions at once. thanks for listening

take care

Chad 84 Vanagon GL ~ "Hop-a-Long"