Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:05:28 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cold-start up oil issue..a solution
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

No. I am not concerned about "dry" wear on engine start up. It is the oil weight of 20 at cold start question. Most engine wear occurs at the first few miles after a cold start. Is 20W-50 good enough or is 5W-50 better for reducing cold start wear? This may be a question during winter only. 5W-50 is not widely available. I am using 10w-40.

Yes, I keep hearing that 20w-50 works fine. 10w-40 has worked very well for me too. But is there a difference? What is the difference? What is better for winter?

I know once the engine warms up there is no difference any more. But the wear happened before the engine warms up. I heard that each cold start wear equals the wear of 200 miles of driving. I think dry wear contributes to the cold start wear too. But it occurs only for a few seconds.

Thanks for the accusump suggestion. That's something I haven't thought about. BTW, I look forward to hearing your new trip report soon.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Got a little couch potato? Check out fun summer activities for kids. http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz