Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:02:23 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cold-start up oil issue..a solution
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

--- Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote:

> Hi. > Since you have so much concern about wear on initial start up, > Maybe you should have a pre-oiler device on your engine... > With this system you can provide oil pressure to the bearings, before even > cranking the engine. > Scott > www.turbovans.com

Scott, thanks for the suggestion. my concern is really the first few miles of driving when oil is not fully warmed up and the viscosity is still high which makes it flow slower than desired to replenish the thin oil film scraped off by the extreme pressure between metal surfaces, such as inside a crankshaft bearing.

I am wondering if it makes somewhat significant difference between a 5w-xx oil and a 20w-xx oil, especially in winter. Pre-oiler addresses the dry running issue upon initial starting up. But it does not address the issue of oil before warming up.

My concern may be answered already by many who have said no problems. When I rebuilt my 83.5 engine two months ago at 110k miles I saw no problems in the bottom block. I wonder if I need to pay more attention to oil so that when I need to rebuild it again say at 200k miles I could get away without align borning for the crank.

Hope this makes sense, (or not). I will probably toss the block if it needs major work such as align borning. I may be opening another can of worms by saying this. Basically labor cost in the SF Bay Area is so high that I would rather find a way to prevent it from becoming necessary too soon.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games. http://sims.yahoo.com/