Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:48:48 -0700
From:         jon <jon@KENNEKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on running Mobil-1 Synthetic oil
Comments: To: Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>

It's not uncommon to have a flickering oil light on idle, especially after a long, hot freeway run.

Also, I'm not surprised Mobil 1 caused it. It really is not a problem if it only happens occasionally.

I don't use Mobil 1 very ofter, but I was using some major brand non-synthetic 10-30W in my wife's 2.1 Westy during the beginning of summer. The light would flicker.

I upped the viscosity by using a 20W-50 (or something close to that). Again, a major name brand dino oil. The light stopped flickering.

So, I use heavier oils in the warm season, and lighter oils when it's cool.

Jon

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Joel Cort wrote:

> Hi,

I am running Mobil 1 15W50 full synthetic in my 2.1 89 Syncro Westy.

I have a VDO pressure gauge and monitor the damn thing all the time. I also have a recent Boston Bob rebuilt with about 8K miles on it.

Occasionally even when it is in the 70s outside and the engine oil is not particularly hot (I have a VDO temp gauge as well) I will get that oil light to flicker at idle (1000RPM). I know that the electric VDO sender is semi accurate but still.

Before switching to Mobil-1 I ran Valvoline and Quacker 20W50 full Synthetic. I did not have any flickering issues.

I will return to running Valvoline or Quacker synthetic. I do not like the Mobil 1 because of the symptoms at low pressure idle regardless of the Zinc content.

And yes I am running the MANN filter. I also trust that the engine does not have bad bearings or bad oil pump or relief spring or any other faulty components.

Cheers, Heading for Watkins Glen to race my van on the track.....

Joel Empire State VW Camping Club.

----- Original Message ---- From: Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2007 7:06:50 PM Subject: (UPDATE) Re: Mobil 1 and SM rating...

Just wanted to follow up on this: I just got off the phone with Mobil 1. The technician I spoke with said that the 15w50 still had high levels of Zinc and Phosphorus, even with the SM rating. So unless anybody hear knows otherwise, I'm going to assume it's okay...

-Wes

Wesley Pegden wrote: > I know the SM discussion was just had recently. However, reading > through that discussion, it seems nobody mentioned this: > > The "reintroduced" 15w-50 Mobil 1 oil is SM rated. It is not clear to > me whether it has enough of the anti-wear additives, after reading lots > of pages online of various tests of the oil. Mobil-1's site has > generally cryptic answers, which I don't generally trust. > > I know there is plenty of dino oil with 20w50 or equivalent with no SM > rating and presumably the correct levels of Zinc, etc. What about > synthetics? Are there equivalent synthetics with known good levels of > additives? (Castrol?) Or does anyone have a good reason to think that > the Mobil 1 is still a good choice? > >

____________________________________________________________________________________ Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games. http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow >