Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:15:31 -0700
From:         Stan A Vanagon <stanthevanagon@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      1983.5 VW Vanagon camper for sale in Houston, Texas

Hello all! I have not had time to post in many months. I was fortunate enough to purchase a 1983.5 Vanagon GL with water cooled engine from an older couple in California in February of this year. The vanagon was VERY well maintained (it had the original tires when I bought it & they were good condition!). I have really enjoyed doing what little work on it that needed to be done, but I am about to get married and need the money for our honeymoon. If anyone would like to purchase or know anyone who would, here is the info. Pictures are available on www.xanga.com/ stanthevanagon

It has approximately 120,000 miles. The odometer broke when the engine was replaced @ 90,000 miles, but I took it apart, rolled it to 120,000 (the number of miles I was told were actually on it) and reinstalled. The odometer has since stopped working again, but can easily be fixed. The transmission is automatic. The V-belts were all placed in April. The front captain's chairs are in good condition as is the back seat, though the back seat could stand new fabric - there are no holes, but it looks its age. There is an air conditioner that was obviously added after market. The freon is charged up. I think there is a problem with the ac wiring, however, as last time I ran it for a long time I saw some smoke coming from the wires. I placed a new radio antenna after I purchased it - I believe the radio was taken out of the dash for the ac and is placed on the floor in front of the gear shifter. The radio and tape deck work well, but there is a back speaker missing. I have the replacement rubber to go around all of the windows (including windshield), but have only replaced the rubber around the front windows (these were the only windows that were in really bad shape). There is a sunroof in the body (as opposed to in the pop- top) that leaks a little when it rains. The body is in EXCELLENT condition. There are a few small dings in the left side - you can see in the pictures where there is discoloration. ..I did this to prevent rust until I could repaint. I have not had time/money to have the vanagon professionally repainted, but I did get a can of matching spraypaint and repainted that area. I replaced the hydralic struts that hold the back end open, and that came out great. I have also replaced the side mirrors (and subsequently glued them in place so they did not fold in on the freeway!) All of the windows have new curtains on them. The windshield does not have any cracks or dings - I have placed a privacy curtain that adheres to the sides and velcros in the middle. There is dirt/a kink in the windshield washer fluid tubing or something wrong with the windshield washer fluid motor - when trying to clean the windshield the fluid just dribbles out...I tried to fix this, but was sent the wrong part and could never find the right one. Both bumpers are in great condition - I replaced the back one as the original had some dings in it.

The vanagon was outfitted with a "country homes camper" conversion when it was purchased. It has a pop-top with both pieces to the upper bed. The canvas to the pop-top is in excellent condition with slight black (mold?) discoloring to the back corners. I replaced the rubber around both parts of the pop-top after I purchased it. The refrigerator works and runs off the battery. I have the set-up for an axillary battery, but never purchased one. I have not put propane in the tank, so I do not know if the stove works, but it looks like it should. There is a problem with the water pump that I have been unable to fix, so the sink needs work before it works right (if you fill the water tank the faucet does not come on, but the sink will be filled with water the next day). The back seat folds into a queen bed - they forgot to give me the mattress when I bought it, but I have put a tempur-pedic mattress topper on there that does the job. The ties that hold the back seat straight when it is in bed-form were broken when I boought it (it looks like time got to them), but it is corrected by placing a cooler under the foot part of it. I'm sure the straps could be easily replaced.

As I said I purchased it in February, and have probably only put 2000 miles on since then. Maintenance- wise I changed the oil in April. The transmission had its first service and they flushed/replaced the trasmission fluid. All 4 tires were replaced (I believe the spare is still original to manufacture) with 60,000 mile rated tires. The water pump was replaced. The freon was recharged with R-12 freon (I think that's the right name...it's the "legal" freon replacement) . I believe the brakes were serviced too.

I paid $4000 for the vanagon, and have probably put at least $2500 into fixing things and general maintenance. I would really like to get the $6500 that I have put into it back, but would be willing to take the best offer as it may or may not be worth that much. If I do not get much response here I will post on ebay before November. Email me or call me @ 281-636-5372 with any questions/offers.

I forgot to mention the most important part!!! The vanagon start up great, but needs to be warmed for a minute before it is good to go. The speedometer works well. Most importantly, it drives and handles REALLY well (as well as a non-power engine can handle)

Thanks - Heather

Check out my progress at www.xanga.com/stanthevanagon