Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Oct 2007 06:25:14 -0700
From:         Dee OBrien <o_briendee@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Auto Tranny problem  Anything else to try?

We have an 88 Wolfsburg w/ 68,000 MI that had been sitting for 7 or 8 years before we finally convinced the PO that we would not part her out and he sold her to us. We towed her home and after bypassing the fuel tank, she fired up after about 5 min of new fuel and Seafoam. After changing AT fluid, filter and running Trans tune, she drove perfectly for short trips up and down our country roads for 2 weeks and 2 or 3 trips on the highway at 55 with our makeshift fuel tank. The problem is we cleaned out the fuel tank and hooked it back up, drove her up the road with sputtering (obviously not enough cleaning of the tank, ordered and have a new one) and just as I turned left into the drive, she died, when I tried to start her again she backfired, then did start with no forward drive. Drives backward fine, but no forward. OK the troubleshooting. Changed the fluid and filter again, cleaned the valve body, checked that shifter moves all parts correctly at AT. She starts in P and N not in D or lower. We have a used AT to put in, but want to make sure we have tried everything before we attempt the exchange. We have not attempted the tranny or motor exchange yet on any of our vanagons. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is our 1st time to post and I want to thank all for the tremendous amount of info we have printed out and added to our manual. Great stuff!

Stephen N Dee Texas 89 Vanagon GL Auto 88 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg Auto 86 Vanagon GL (blown engine, July 06 Dallas 105 deg,) Manual 86 Wesphalia, has moved to a new home in Colorado 85 Vanagon Manual 84 Vanagon GL Subi conv (94 Legacy) Auto 73 bus w/sunroof (project) 2001 beetle 1.8T 84 300 TDT Merc Wagon 79 300 TD Merc Wagon