Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:02:48 -0700
From:         Robyn Lundstrom <robyn@TRAINWIRE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ping List Admin re: Post I'd like to put on the Wiki
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

Okay. If he responds favorably, I'll put it there. If not, I'll write my own.

Robyn

You have my permission, however to be legal, you *must have* the author's permission.

Let me emphasize that so there is no misunderstanding: YOU MUST HAVE THE AUTHOR'S EXPRESS PERMISSION.

Based of the remembered history of one writer's posts, I believe that the copyright notice on the website is of dubious legality and, IMHO, ought to be removed before we run up even more legal bills trying to defend the indefensible...

Long, ugly story's moral: The author owns the work until such time as he/she assigns rights. An archivist cannot claim copyright without the author specifically granting permission.

If you have written permission from the author to publish in a specific forum, I would say have at it. If you don't, it's not yours.

Disclaimer: I did not consult my attorney prior to answering the question and I am NOT truly qualified to make a legal determination. The above is my opinion only and my recollection of the outcome of the first time the ownership of the list archives was challenged. If you want a definitive answer, I would strongly suggest that you consult an attorney specializing in intellectual property issues.

Jim Arnott List Administrator vanagon@gerry